ST PAUL CATHEDRAL MISSION STATEMENT
"St. Paul Cathedral Parish is a diverse body of Catholic People whom God calls by name, given a mission by Jesus Christ to be a faithful sign, a realistic foretaste and an instrument of the Kingdom of God. As Cathedral parishoners, we recognize our responsibility to show leadership by example and to provide service to God's people."
A Brief History
On Easter Sunday, March 19, 1914, St Paul's first pastor, Fr Robert Armstrong, celebrated the first parish Mass in the chapel of St Elizabeth Hospital. Two hundred people were in attendance.
During that same year, Fr Armstrong announced that five acres of land had been purchased from D.E. Lesh for a church, school and residence between Chestnut and Walnut Streets on the north and south boundaries and 14th Avenue on West boundary and 12th Avenue on the east boundary.
In July, groundbreaking ceremonies were held for a facility that would be a combination school and church. Since Fr. Armstrong was born in San Francisco, California, he preferred the mission style church architecture similar in design to Mission Dolores in San Francisco and chose that same style of architecture for St Paul Church. John Maonly was the architect for the church.
On February 8, 1926, excavation for parish church began on the corner of south 12th Avenue and north Chestnut Street. Designed in the Spanish mission style, the layout plan for the church was in the form of a cross with a 125-foot-tower topped by a glazed tile dome and bronze cross. The red tile roof fell in line with the mission-styled architecture and the altar would be under an apse, a dome, with two side altars called transepts.
On Easter Sunday, April 18, 1927, Fr Armstrong said a Solemn Mass in St Paul's permanent home. It would be more that twenty-five years before the curch would be fully completed.
On July 18, 1951, Pope Pius XII created the new diocese of Yakima, and named St Paul as the Cathedral Church. The parish was previously part of the Diocese of Seattle. On October 11, 1951, Bishop Joseph Patrick Dougherty was named first bishop of Yakima.
During the April of 1954, the seating capacity of the cathedral was increased from 600 to 800. Four windows, were removed for new confessionals. A terazzo floor was laid and new oak pews were installed.
On October 14, 1955, after Fr. Edmund Mcgrath was appointed pastor, the chapel, baptistry and sacristy were added to the church.
- Taken from Celebration! St Paul Cathedral Centennial 1914-2014 by Susan La Riviere
Celebration! is available at www.susanlariviere.com or the Cathedral Office.